Quote 2 particular lines or passages from within Chap 2-4: one that feels imp’t to the text and one that feels imp’t to you, and explain why they feel imp’t. End your post w/ a question. Your comment should be two paragraphs long, and you should note page #s. (Skip a line between paragraphs, since you cannot indent on the blog.)
Also, reply to at least one student's post.
A line that seemed important to the text, was one that came from a conversation between Danny and Reuven. “‘Sure I believe it,’ he said quietly. His shoulders were bowed. ‘Sometimes I’m not sure what God wants though’”(79). This appeared to be an extremely pivotal line in the text, as it is shown that even though religion is important to Danny, he is experiencing personal conflicts with this aspect of his life. His father stresses its importance, and Danny is expected to become a rabbi when he is older. Yet, it is revealed that Danny is interested in other pursuits, such as voraciously reading through any interesting forms of literature, and examining subjects such as evolution. From the beginning, it is stressed that religion is extremely prevalent in Danny’s life, and it came as quite a shock that he has these reserves and mixed feelings that are clearly weighing on him. This not only comes as a shock to the reader, but to Reuven as well, who is learning more about the person of whom he had a completely different image of at the beginning of the novel.
ReplyDeleteA passage that was important to me, which connects to the line above, was from a conversation between Reuven and his father, pertaining to his newfound friendship with Danny, and his recently developed impression of him. “‘The way he acts and talks doesn’t seem to fit what he wears and the way he looks,’ I said, ‘It’s like two different people’”(74-75). This idea, stated so simply by Reuven, and yet so cognitively, includes a very important lesson. When Reuven saw Danny at the game, he judged him by the way he was dressed, as it accorded to his religion, which impacted the way that he expected him to act and behave. He had a predisposition to Danny’s religion, which affected how he saw his character. He made assumptions about him, revealed to be untrue, which he learned once he got to know Danny by having a conversation with him. He also learned in this moment, that you are not entirely defined by one aspect of your life. It is true that religion is of great importance in Danny’s life, but he also reveals that he has many other interests that also define who he is. You can not judge a book by its cover, and you can not force a person into one category, based off one aspect of their life. This is an important lesson, not only for Reuven to learn, but for the reader to observe as well. It can change one’s outlook on the world, and possibly be inspiring to not jump to conclusions based on appearance.
Do you think that Danny’s conflicted feelings toward religion, and its impact on his life, will gain prevalence as the story progresses?
I think that the conflicting feelings will definitely be prevalent later on in the book. I think that it is a huge thing to deal with alone, and that Danny will rely on Reuven to help him. Danny might talk to his father, or just talk to Reuven about his feelings, but either way it will be brought up again. I think that this ties into what you were saying about not judging people, and I think that Danny will grow to except himself even if it’s not what his father wants.
DeleteReuven is still in the hospital after his eye injury and is talking to his dad. Reuven tells his dad that he finally got to look out the window of the first time since the accident and that he feels grateful. His dad responds, “‘No one knows he is fortunate until he becomes unfortunate’”(73). This is a very basic quote, but it still holds lots of meaning. I think that this quote is important to me because a lot of the time I forget how lucky I am. The items, rights and knowledge that I have, I usually take for granted. Sometimes I look at other people and envy what they have, and I want more, but really, I should be thankful for all the things I have. I could never imagine what I would do if I couldn’t see out of one of my eyes, but even that isn’t as bad as losing all eyesight. Reuven is very courageous and I think that is a good characteristic to have. Even when he thought that he might lose his eyesight, he was able to stay calm and continue to see the good things around him. I also think Reuven's dad is wise and a very unique character. The ways that he gives Reuven advice is considerate, and caring.
ReplyDeleteDuring Chapter 3, Reuven is visited by Danny. He and Danny begin to talk, and their conversation leads them to the question of what they want to do in the future. Danny says that he is being forced to become a Rabbi when he is older. Reuven ask what he would rather do instead. Danny answers, “‘I don’t know. Probably a psychologist’”(69). I think that it’s interesting that Danny doesn't have a choice about being a Rabbi and I think the conflict will come up more in the book. Even though Danny is so religious, he does not want to be a Rabbi. I wonder if it’s because his father has pushed him so hard over the years, so now he resents his father and his religion. Danny is a very complex character and I was surprised that Danny questioned his own religion. I think that Danny and Reuven will help each other, and I think Reuven will be a good friend for Danny to have while he is going through this uncertain time.
Will Reuven persuade or encourage Danny to go against his father’s wishes?
I think that Reuven will encourage Danny to go against his father’s wishes, and pursue his interests, instead of becoming a rabbi, which he has expressed is not his desire for his future. Reuven himself wishes to pursue a career of his own, wanting to become a rabbi, instead of a professor as his father hopes. He could connect to the way that Danny feels, and he knows what it is like to have an interest that goes against what is expected of you. It seems that this would encourage him to support Danny in doing the same thing, and becoming a psychologist as he hopes. I also think this would connect back to what Reuven’s father said about being a friend, and he made it out to be a very serious matter, and role to fulfill. As Danny’s friend, I predict that Reuven may feel that it is his responsibility to encourage him to go after his goals. Based on this, it would seem likely that Reuven will be supportive of Danny while he is conflicted about these aspects of his life, and that he will encourage him to pursue psychology, or any other subject that he is passionate about.
DeleteI think that it adds a lot to Danny’s character that he doesn’t want to be a rabbi. There is one part in the book where Reuven says that Danny isn’t really that dedicated in his faith and I think that you are right to think that it will come up more in the book. Reuven will probably try and convince Danny to become what he wants to be. He already kind of is. On page 82 Reuven asks Danny, “How can you spend your life doing what you don’t like?” Reuven and Danny have become better friends and I think Reuven wants what’s best for Danny and he knows Danny won’t be happy being a rabbi his entire life.
DeleteOne line that seems important to the text is on page 68. Reuven and Danny are finally stepping out of their comfort zones to try and get to know each other, and they are currently talking about baseball. Danny mentions that he spends a lot of time practicing, and Reuven says, “‘Where do you get the time? I thought you people always studied Talmud.’” Reuven’s comment is significant because it shows how little he really knows about Danny’s lifestyle. The prejudices he has formed and the stereotypes he has been exposed to over the course of his life lead him to make an inaccurate assumption of what Danny’s life is like and what his priorities are. Reuven thinks that Danny’s life is completely centered around his religion, which it is in many senses, but Reuven has not even considered the possibility that Danny might have a serious interest in any nonsecular activity. Little does he know yet that Danny secretly values several nonsecular subjects, particularly psychology, even above his religious studies. Reuven thought that knowing Danny’s religious beliefs would give him enough information to know him completely, but it turned out that it was not even close to enough.
ReplyDeleteOn page 74, Reuven’s father tells him that “‘people are not always what they seem to be.’” This line seems very important to me because while it can be hard to believe sometimes, it is absolutely true. In fact, I think that people are almost never what they seem to be. Just as Reuven thought he knew exactly what kind of person Danny was just because he knew his family and his religious beliefs, people often judge others based on one thing that they know about them. While that one thing may be true, it still won’t tell them anything about what that person is like as a whole. I can think of several cases in which I have made assumptions about people based on what their interests are and who their friends are rather than what I have actually witnessed them say or do. In many cases, my assumption turned out to be completely inaccurate when I actually took the time to get to know them.
By the end of chapter four, we can assume that the friendship that formed between Danny and Reuven while Reuven was in the hospital will last even when he returns to his normal life. Do you think that their friendship will inspire their peers from their respective religious sects to reconsider what they thought they knew about the opposite sect? Or will it only cause the two boys to be judged by their own sects for mingling with “the enemy?”
You always hope that everything will work out respectively. Yet, in order to have a good plot line, everything working out is really never in the agenda. Maybe in the end everything will work out but for the time being, I believe that Reuven and Danny will be questioned heavily for their actions. Especially since Danny told him team before the game to "Kill the Aporkisms". His teammates will be thoroughly confused by his sudden change of ideas. This could lead to some hatred of Danny and/or Reuven.
DeleteLayla,
DeleteI appreciate your question because there really is no knowing. I predict though, that their friendship, which I agree will blossom, will strengthen an understanding between sects. Although of course, it would be impossible for everyone to be open-minded in this situation.
I think it is inevitable that there will be (strong) pushback at first, but as Danny and Reuven confide in their friends from their respective sects, some will come to accept their friendship and those friends’ curiosity might lead others to do as Danny and Reuven are doing.
An important line for me was was when Reuven’s father told Reuven to make friends with Danny. Reuven does not know how often his father has been meeting with Danny in the library so does not fully understand why his father is putting this idea upon him with such enthusiasm. “‘...I am telling you to make him your friend and to let him make you his friend.’” (74). I think this friendship and connection between Danny and Reuven will be crucial to the story now that they are not enemies and understand eachother. Especially after the encounter when Reuven’s father shows up to the hospital to greet Reuven and comes upon Danny. Danny is absolutely astonished and in shock as he sees the man that he has been meeting with for the past few months in private about readings he enjoys. This encounter to me is the most important section of the book so far because it brings together everything that has been happening up to this point together and puts a whole new meaning of what might happen next into the reader’s mind. This passage is the beginning of a friendship between these two families that will be very interesting to read and inquire about. How should we expect this friendship between Reuven and Danny to evolve? In a good or bad way?
ReplyDelete(I apologize to the lack of length to this entry, typing with a sprained thumb and wrist is a little challenging)
It seems that Danny and Reuven will become fast friends. They clearly enjoy each other’s company, and furthermore, the fact that they are so different only makes them seem more interesting to each other. I think that their friendship will cause Danny to become further invested in his pursuit of knowledge outside of his religious studies, both because Reuven’s father is helping him and because Reuven is his only non-Hasidic friend. In turn, Reuven’s interest in becoming a rabbi will probably be affected by his friendship with Danny—it might deepen as he watches Danny prepare to become a rabbi himself, or he may realize that it’s not what he want to do with his life after all. Both boys will discover new things about themselves as the result of their friendship, and while it may result in conflict along the way between them and their parents or their community members, in the end it will make them both happier to know what they really want in life.
DeleteOne line that is important to the text is “The noise quieted a little, but the radio was still blaring” (55). As patients in the hospital, these men and boys do not have access to the outside world other than what visitors, doctors, or nurses tell them. The radio conveys such strong messages to the characters and the epistemology of this story. Although a lot of Reuven’s life is consumed in his religion, the words heard through the radio allow Reuven to remove himself from the ideals projected upon him by his rabbi and teachers. The radio is especially important while in a hospital. When you are sick, it can sometimes feel like your situation is of massive significance to the greater picture, when really, in the world, there are many horrifying scenes that even someone suffering, and maybe even more so by someone suffering can have compassion for.
ReplyDeleteA line that spoke to me on a more personal note was the night after Danny had come to apologize to Reuven for hitting him in the eye, but Reuven wasn’t wanting to accept Danny’s apology. Reuven’s father was not happy with the way his son had acted, “‘You did a foolish thing, Reuven,’ he told me sternly. ‘You remember what the Talmud says. If a person comes to apologize for having hurt you, you just listen and forgive him’” (64). Forgiving has always been something that has been a struggle for me. I can forgive with time, but I often find myself filling with hostile emotions after someone has done something that has offended or angered me. The times when it is unreasonable to not forgive are when I have the most trouble forgiving. When looking back on moments like these, I regret not being more accepting. Fortunately, the way we treat people is something we can control in our lives. The time that Reuven has been in the hospital has been very filled with emotion. How much emotion (particularly rage) has he regretted feeling?
One passage that I found to be important to the book was on page 70 and 71 when Reuven agreed to talk to Danny about the baseball game. Reuven is angry about Danny hitting the ball right towards him. Danny tries to defend himself.
ReplyDelete“‘You were supposed to duck.’ he said.
‘I had no chance to duck.’
‘Yes you did.’
‘There wasn’t enough time. You hit it so fast.’
‘There was time for you to bring up your glove.’
I considered that for a moment.
‘You didn’t want to duck.’”
I think this passage was interesting because it shows how competitive the two boys are. Reuven wouldn’t even dodge the ball because he didn’t want to let Danny get on a base. He didn’t want to let the ball go by him and end up being ridiculed. Danny confessed that he had to win the game because if he didn’t his father would have been disappointed, to say the least. Both of the boys had their own reasons as to why they felt as though the game meant so much to them. Their need to win led them to hate each other. They had to be competitive towards each other, but after the game they are able to become better friends. They realize they’re not as different as they think.
Another quote that really spoke to me was on page 79 when Danny says “Sometimes I get the feeling that’s all we are - ants. Do you ever feel that way?” In this moment, Danny is being vulnerable with Reuven. I think the quote is saying that he feels small in such a big world. Ants also work together and are always very busy, but I think Danny is looking down on the people who look like ants and saying that he feels insignificant.
Do you think Reuven’s father told him to be Danny’s friend because he knew more about him than he was letting on? Would he have suggested this if it had been any other person?