Post the prompt assignment you chose, the title of your piece, and also a link to it (a link to it on the YWP website). Do not post your actual piece here.
Prompt was: Beautiful: Begin or end a poem or story with the phrase, “She was beautiful, but in a different sort of way.” Title: Earthly Beauty Link:https://youngwritersproject.org/node/26510
I love all the description in your poem! I really like how you build up your poem to reveal that you are describing and personifying the earth. All your lines were well thought out, and it was very imaginative. I love the phrase, "Her freckles, innumerable dots of light. Multitudes of stars, Sprayed over her cheeks and nose." It's so interesting how you compared stars to freckles and I never would have thought of that!
“And I,/Amid billions,/Who dwell along her surface,/Can only watch in wonder.”
Wow. I love poems that point out the specialness of little things and yours certainly does that. This poem is beautiful, and because it is a poem and because it was created in your marvelous mind, it is unique. The poem itself is beautiful in her own way.
Emilia, I really enjoyed reading your poem. It had really powerful descriptions. I really like the lines where you describe her eyes. “Her eyes a stormy, unfathomable gray,/As easy to get lost in,/ As the choppy sea itself.” I also like the lines “Her limbs, fragile twigs,/Bend and sway in the slightest wind.” Your piece had some really nice imagery. Good job.
Prompt: Beautiful, begin or end a poem or story with the phrase, "She was beautiful , but in a different sort of way." Title: A Ship's Journey Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/26512
I loved your poem! The concept of the ship was really interesting, as was how you used personification in your poem. It was a really creative poem, and such an interesting topic. The descriptive vocabulary that you used evoked very clear images and feelings through the poem. I loved the line, “Her ropes unwinding and old, but willing to hold.” The rhyme and flow of this, paired with the image and feeling that it depicts was very captivating. I thought this was a great response to the prompt, and it was really interesting and fun to read.
This beautiful poem has opened my eyes. The fact that you chose to write about an old ship is very interesting to me. It is not like we live in a place where there is a bay filled with ships. Where did the inspiration from this topic come from?
You use such strong verbs that create images to make me listen to the sound of the ocean, the air, and the ship itself. My favorite line: “Her body sighed and creaked.”
Prompt: Alone. What happens at your house when no one is home? What’s the first thing the inanimate objects do? Hold a party time? Hop into the hot tub? Play tricks on the absent humans? Write a whimsical tale. Title: "Alone" https://youngwritersproject.org/node/26997
I loved the use of personification in your poem! You can tell that the piece is from the perspective of a wall, even though you don’t say it directly. I also really liked how you tied in the concept of turning humans’ words into song, both in the beginning of the poem, and at the end. All of the details and thoughts that you put in I could definitely imagine coming from the perspective of a wall. I really liked the line “We are told by our owners what we look like. We have little choice in our appearance.” It’s something I never would have thought of, but it is such an appropriate statement, that adds to the personification, as the walls are told how to look by their owners, and humans often feel that they are told how to look by society. I really enjoyed reading it, and I love your piece!
I thought that this was really interesting and took a different take on something that everyone has to have thought about at some point. Is everything alive and watching me? Or, maybe that was just me, but I like this sort of alternate reality idea. It allows me to branch out so to speak and think about things that are not necesarily true. But, you can never know, just because science says not possible, the imagination can do whatever it pleases.
Prompt: Frost. Read the Robert Frost poem “Design.” In describing the industrious spider and the flower, he says so much more. Choose a simple plant or animal and create a poem in the style of Frost. Title: "Life" Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/27383
Prompt: Twist. Write a story that leads your readers to believe it’s about one thing, but it turns out to be about something else entirely. Make it wacky and surprising! Title: A Morning Stroll Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/27414
Layla, I absolutely loved your piece. The twist was so shocking yet somehow fitting to the story. After I read it I actually gasped. It was so eloquently written. I really liked your description and details throughout the story. You paint a really nice picture that made me smile a little while reading it. The title didn’t give it away at all so you really had to read the whole thing to know the twist.
I thought this was a real page turner despite the fact that it was only one page! It took me a few seconds to finally realize what was exactly going on in the first part but by the middle I was truely thinking and wondering what in the world would happen. The way you portrayed the characters and imagery really made you feel like you were a part of it and a character of your own. Really cool way to do it.
Prompt: Dye. You’ve always wanted to dye your hair a gorgeous new color, and when you finally get up the nerve to do it, something goes terribly wrong. You didn’t read the fine print on the bottle. Now what? Title: Dye Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/27426
Nattilie, this is hilarious! A lot of lines made me laugh--"My hair cannot be fixed because it is all gone," "She seemed almost frightened by my enthusiasm..." and "I now understand why they called it 'FIRE RED'" are my favorites. The narrator is just stating the facts, but the dry humor of it is what makes it so funny. Reading it again, I found the narrator's enthusiasm throughout the piece especially amusing, knowing that it will end in disaster. Great job!
Prompt was:
ReplyDeleteBeautiful: Begin or end a poem or story with the phrase, “She was beautiful, but in a different sort of way.”
Title: Earthly Beauty
Link:https://youngwritersproject.org/node/26510
I love all the description in your poem! I really like how you build up your poem to reveal that you are describing and personifying the earth. All your lines were well thought out, and it was very imaginative. I love the phrase, "Her freckles, innumerable dots of light.
DeleteMultitudes of stars,
Sprayed over her cheeks and nose." It's so interesting how you compared stars to freckles and I never would have thought of that!
“And I,/Amid billions,/Who dwell along her surface,/Can only watch in wonder.”
DeleteWow. I love poems that point out the specialness of little things and yours certainly does that. This poem is beautiful, and because it is a poem and because it was created in your marvelous mind, it is unique. The poem itself is beautiful in her own way.
Emilia, I really enjoyed reading your poem. It had really powerful descriptions. I really like the lines where you describe her eyes. “Her eyes a stormy, unfathomable gray,/As easy to get lost in,/
DeleteAs the choppy sea itself.” I also like the lines “Her limbs, fragile twigs,/Bend and sway in the slightest wind.” Your piece had some really nice imagery. Good job.
Prompt:
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, begin or end a poem or story with the phrase, "She was beautiful , but in a different sort of way."
Title: A Ship's Journey
Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/26512
I loved your poem! The concept of the ship was really interesting, as was how you used personification in your poem. It was a really creative poem, and such an interesting topic. The descriptive vocabulary that you used evoked very clear images and feelings through the poem. I loved the line, “Her ropes unwinding and old, but willing to hold.” The rhyme and flow of this, paired with the image and feeling that it depicts was very captivating. I thought this was a great response to the prompt, and it was really interesting and fun to read.
DeleteThis beautiful poem has opened my eyes. The fact that you chose to write about an old ship is very interesting to me. It is not like we live in a place where there is a bay filled with ships. Where did the inspiration from this topic come from?
DeleteYou use such strong verbs that create images to make me listen to the sound of the ocean, the air, and the ship itself. My favorite line: “Her body sighed and creaked.”
Prompt:
ReplyDeleteAlone. What happens at your house when no one is home? What’s the first thing the inanimate objects do? Hold a party time? Hop into the hot tub? Play tricks on the absent humans? Write a whimsical tale.
Title:
"Alone"
https://youngwritersproject.org/node/26997
I loved the use of personification in your poem! You can tell that the piece is from the perspective of a wall, even though you don’t say it directly. I also really liked how you tied in the concept of turning humans’ words into song, both in the beginning of the poem, and at the end. All of the details and thoughts that you put in I could definitely imagine coming from the perspective of a wall. I really liked the line “We are told by our owners what we look like. We have little choice in our appearance.” It’s something I never would have thought of, but it is such an appropriate statement, that adds to the personification, as the walls are told how to look by their owners, and humans often feel that they are told how to look by society. I really enjoyed reading it, and I love your piece!
DeleteI thought that this was really interesting and took a different take on something that everyone has to have thought about at some point. Is everything alive and watching me? Or, maybe that was just me, but I like this sort of alternate reality idea. It allows me to branch out so to speak and think about things that are not necesarily true. But, you can never know, just because science says not possible, the imagination can do whatever it pleases.
DeletePrompt: Frost. Read the Robert Frost poem “Design.” In describing the industrious spider and the flower, he says so much more. Choose a simple plant or animal and create a poem in the style of Frost.
ReplyDeleteTitle: "Life"
Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/27383
Riley, so many word choices and phrasings inspire me with their newness:
Deletewing that flits
like a criminal to his chain
walk into the light of death
Prompt: Twist. Write a story that leads your readers to believe it’s about one thing, but it turns out to be about something else entirely. Make it wacky and surprising!
ReplyDeleteTitle: A Morning Stroll
Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/27414
Layla, I absolutely loved your piece. The twist was so shocking yet somehow fitting to the story. After I read it I actually gasped. It was so eloquently written. I really liked your description and details throughout the story. You paint a really nice picture that made me smile a little while reading it. The title didn’t give it away at all so you really had to read the whole thing to know the twist.
DeleteI thought this was a real page turner despite the fact that it was only one page! It took me a few seconds to finally realize what was exactly going on in the first part but by the middle I was truely thinking and wondering what in the world would happen. The way you portrayed the characters and imagery really made you feel like you were a part of it and a character of your own. Really cool way to do it.
DeletePrompt: Dye. You’ve always wanted to dye your hair a gorgeous new color, and when you finally get up the nerve to do it, something goes terribly wrong. You didn’t read the fine print on the bottle. Now what?
ReplyDeleteTitle: Dye
Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/27426
Nattilie, this is hilarious! A lot of lines made me laugh--"My hair cannot be fixed because it is all gone," "She seemed almost frightened by my enthusiasm..." and "I now understand why they called it 'FIRE RED'" are my favorites. The narrator is just stating the facts, but the dry humor of it is what makes it so funny. Reading it again, I found the narrator's enthusiasm throughout the piece especially amusing, knowing that it will end in disaster. Great job!
Delete